The new GOTS version 6.0 has been released defining world-wide recognised requirements that ensure third party certified organic status of textiles with full traceability from field to finished product.
• Certified organic fibre content, the general ban on toxic and harmful chemicals, conventional cotton and virgin polyester as well as the social compliance management have been maintained, while other criteria became stricter.
• GOTS Environmental Criteria, Product Stewardship and Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) requirements have been introduced for approved chemical formulators.
• The newly released test protocol ISO / IWA 32 for GM screening of cotton serves as the recognised screening method of GMO presence.
• The new version withdraws the relaxation for the additional regenerated and virgin synthetic fibre content for Socks, Leggings and Sportswear.
• Product Quality Standards for Colourfastness and Dimensional Stability are now mandatory. Specific new requirements for Tampons and Food Contact Textiles have been included.
• GOTS Social Criteria : Certified Entities will now have to calculate the gap of actually paid wages to ‘Living Wages’ (according to recognised calculations methods). Furthermore, they will be encouraged to work towards closing this gap. Specific references to OECD Due Diligence Guidance and Good Practice Guidance for Social Criteria and Risk Assessment as well as Ethical Business Practises have been explicitly included.